Former Firefighter Loses Home Due to Fire

Clarke County Firefighters recently responded to the scene of a mobile home fire in the 100 Block of Pine Street in Pachuta. The call came in around 8:30 pm of the home being on fire, once firefighters from Pachuta arrived, they reported the single wide home being fully involved with fire.

Officials tell CCHT “It was one of our oldest members, Mr. Burford Barnett who is 85 years old”. “His house is a total loss and they were only able to save a few of his personal belongings”.

We understand that the fire started in one of the back bedrooms and quickly spread into the living room and kitchen area. “The only room that didn’t get burned was his bedroom and the second bathroom, but suffered heavy smoke damage”.

He and his grandson have lost everything in this fire and at this time, the clothing issues are being handled by department personnel and friends. Any other donations would be greatly appreciated and can be dropped off at Pachuta Volunteer Fire Department, located at 15345 Hwy 11 or given to any department member. Donations may also be mailed to P.O. Box 106, Pachuta, MS 39347.

Checks may also be made out to Buford Barnett. The fire department assures that any donations made to Mr. Burford will be given to him personally.

Thank you for your consideration, for any questions please feel free to contact any department member.

Pachuta, Harmony, Enterprise and Quitman Fire Departments responded to this call along with the Clarke County Fire Investigator and Clarke County Sheriff’s Department.